Finding Healthcare Careers in Virginia
Rewarding Careers in Healthcare Await
Healthcare careers in Virginia are in high demand thanks to continued growth opportunities and the continuing increase in demand for healthcare services.
The healthcare sector has over 60 positions clustered into five general categories:
- Support Services – Support services focus on maintaining the hospital’s facilities and encouraging patient safety. Roles include pharmacy aides, health educators, maintenance, and dietary and nutrition services.
- Therapeutic Services – These positions improve patient health through direct care and treatment. Most careers will require certification or additional education. Roles include nurses, physical therapists, and surgical technicians.
- Biotechnology Research & Development – Science and engineering-minded candidates may find biotechnology research to be their field. Their discoveries may help with creating new treatments, investigating diseases, and improving diagnostics. Roles include biologists, epidemiologists, research assistants, and technical writers.
- Diagnostic Services – Diagnostic services work closely with other members of the care team to diagnose patients before creating a care plan. Roles include phlebotomists, radiologists, sonographers, and physician assistants.
- Health Informatics – This field primarily deals with patient data and technical medical systems. Roles include medical record technicians, data analytics, transcribers, and software system developers.
Already got a dream role in mind? Browse through our job board to find open hospital jobs across Virginia!Explore Hospital Jobs
Hot Hospital Jobs in Virginia
We’ve compiled a list of 12 hot healthcare careers in Virginia based on demand, accessibility, and pay. Click on each healthcare to learn more about:
- Role responsibilities
- Required education, certifications, and/or licensure
- Average salary in Virginia
For a complete list of healthcare careers, browse through the Virginia Health Workforce Development Authority’s (VHWDA) 2022–2024 Virginia Health Careers Catalog.
Healthcare Careers Based on Education
Did you know that you can start several careers in healthcare with little-to-no training required? Some of the top entry-level hospital jobs that only require a high school diploma or certification include:
- Community health workers
- Pharmacy technicians
- Licensed practical nurses
- Certified nurse assistants
- Assisted living facility administrators
As you obtain additional training and degrees, your growth opportunities and annual wage will typically increase. Check out VHWDA’s graph to understand how a role’s educational requirements relate to potential income or learn more about healthcare programs in Virginia schools.
On Board Virginia is proud to partner with:
- Virginia Health Workforce Development Authority – Established by the General Assembly, the VHWDA is dedicated to reinforcing a statewide pipeline to identify, educate, recruit, and retain diverse healthcare talent.
- Virginia Department of Health Professions – The VDHP ensures safe and competent patient care by licensing health professionals and enforcing practice standards. Explore licensing requirements and/or apply for a license at their site.